Virtual DIY Homesteading
Have you ever been interested in homesteading? Do you want to reduce the amount of chemicals in your home and food? Are you trying to go plastic free? Join us each month for a hands-on (virtual!) class where we'll learn how to DIY various items for your home. Please email Angie at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
This month we are going to make pickles! We will be experimenting with two different kinds of pickles. We will be doing a microwave bread and butter pickle and a refrigerator dill pickle.
Microwave Bread and Butter Pickles
1 large cucumber, thinly sliced
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
3/4 c sugar
1/3 c white vinegar
1/2 tsp mustard seed
1/4 tsp celery seed
1/4 tsp turmeric
1 tsp salt
- In microwave safe bowl, combine all ingredients and mix well.
- Microwave uncovered at 80% power for 5 minutes. Stir halfway through. Allow pickles to cool.
- Cover and chill at least 2 hours before serving.
Refrigerator Dill Pickles
1 cucumber (sliced or spears)
a few sprigs of fresh dill
1/2 c white vinegar
1/2 c water
2 cloves garlic
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp whole mustard seeds
1/4 tsp whole peppercorns
- Put sliced or speared cucumber into glass jar, tucking dill in between cucumbers.
- Combine vinegar, water, garlic, salt, sugar, mustard seeds and peppercorns in nonreactive saucepan. Bring to a boil and stir until the salt and sugar are dissolved. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Pour liquid over cucumbers in jar. Make sure to include all the spices. If your jar is too big and liquid doesn't fully cover the pickles, fill the rest up with water.
- Close the jar and refrigerate for at least 48 hours.