The Familiars by Adam Jay Epstein
When Aldwyn, a young alley cat on the run, ducks into a mysterious pet shop, he doesn’t expect his life to change. But that’s exactly what happens when Jack, a young wizard, picks Aldwyn to be his magical familiar. Finally off the tough streets, Aldwyn thinks he’s got it made. He just has to convince the other familiars-the know-it-all blue jay Skylar and the friendly tree frog Gilbert-that he’s the telekinetic cat he claims to be. But when Jack and two other wizards in training are captured by a terrible evil, it will take all of Aldwyn’s street smarts, a few good friends, and a nose for adventure to save the day!
Book Worms Discussion Date: January 17, 2013
- Why is Aldwyn on the run? Who is chasing him?
- Who do the familiars meet on their quest to rescue their loyals? What did they have to do at each destination?
- What magical powers do each of the familiars possess?
- Where are each of the familiars from?
- What familiar do you think possess the greatest power – Aldwyn, Gilbert, or Skylar? Why?
- What do the familiars discover in the cave on Kailasa?
- Describe Gilbert’s relationship with his dad. Does it change by the end of the book?
- Who is truly responsible for Kalstaff’s death?
- Who are the three original “prophesized three”? Who are the new “prophesized three”?
- What was each familiar afraid of on the Bridge of Betrayal?
- How do you think Aldwyn’s relationship with Gilbert and Skylar changed in the story?
Books like The Familiars
The Underneath by Kathi Appelt
Bad Kitty by Nick Bruel
The Trouble with Magic by Ruth Chew
The Cheshire Cheese Cat by Carmen Agra Deedy
Howl’s Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones
Flight of the Phoenix by R.L. LaFevers
The Magic Thief by Sarah Prineas
The Map to Everywhere by Carrie Ryan
Magyk by Angie Sage
Toes by Tor Seidler
Pie by Sarah Weeks
The Shadows by Jacqueline West