When Aldwyn, a young alley cat on the run, ducks into a mysterious pet shop, he doesn’t expect his life to change. But that’s exactly what happens when Jack, a young wizard, picks Aldwyn to be his magical familiar. Finally off the tough streets, Aldwyn thinks he’s got it made. He just has to convince the other familiars-the know-it-all blue jay Skylar and the friendly tree frog Gilbert-that he’s the telekinetic cat he claims to be. But when Jack and two other wizards in training are captured by a terrible evil, it will take all of Aldwyn’s street smarts, a few good friends, and a nose for adventure to save the day!
- Why is Aldwyn on the run? Who is chasing him?
- Who do the familiars meet on their quest to rescue their loyals? What did they have to do at each destination?
- What magical powers do each of the familiars possess?
- Where are each of the familiars from?
- What familiar do you think possess the greatest power – Aldwyn, Gilbert, or Skylar? Why?
- What do the familiars discover in the cave on Kailasa?
- Describe Gilbert’s relationship with his dad. Does it change by the end of the book?
- Who is truly responsible for Kalstaff’s death?
- Who are the three original “prophesized three”? Who are the new “prophesized three”?
- What was each familiar afraid of on the Bridge of Betrayal?
- How do you think Aldwyn’s relationship with Gilbert and Skylar changed in the story?