Rump: the True Story of Rumpelstiltskin
Rump: the True Story of Rumpelstiltskin by Liesl Shurtliff
Relates the tale of Rumpelstiltskin’s childhood and youth, explaining why his name is so important, how he is able to spin straw into gold, and why a first-born child is his reward for helping the miller’s daughter-turned-queen.
Book Worms Discussion Date: October 16, 2014
- How is this story different from the original Grimm Brothers’ tale?
- In the magical kingdom where Rump is set, a name determines a person’s destiny. How does this affect Rumpelstiltskin? How does it affect others in the story?
- Who or what helps Rump on his journey to discover his name and his destiny?
- Who is Red? What is the relationship like between Rump and Red?
- Are pixies helpful or harmful in this story?
- What secrets are revealed during this story?
- What happens when Rump uses magic?
- What is a rumpel? What is a stiltskin?
- How is Rump’s story similar to his mother’s?
- What other fairy tales are mentioned in this book?
Books like Rump
Of giants and ice by Shelby Bach
A question of magic by E.D. Baker
Tom Trueheart and the Land of Dark Stories by Ian Beck
Flunked by Jen Calonita
The Land of Stories : the wishing spell by Chris Colfer
The cottage in the woods by Katherine Coville
A tale dark & Grimm by Adam Gidwitz
The storybook of legends by Shannon Hale
The castle behind thorns by Merrie Haskell
Goose chase by Patrice Kindl
Fairest by Gail Carson Levine
Beauty and the beast : the only one who didn’t run away by Wendy Mass