- Teen Zone
- Teen Programming
- Teen Summer Reading Club
- Award Lists
- Homework Help
- Health and Well-being
- Reading Rants
- Volunteer Portal
- Services and Opportunities
- Book Recommendations
- Computer Center
- Meeting Rooms
- Art Gallery
- Drop Boxes
- Display Areas
- Genealogy and Missouri Information
- Local History
- About MRRL
- Online Services
SUMMER READING PROGRAM AT MISSOURI RIVER REGIONAL LIBRARY KICKS OFF ON JUNE 1
573-634-6064 ext. 247
JEFFERSON CITY – Looking for adventure this summer? Hoping to learn something new? Want to travel to new places without ever leaving the house? Missouri River Regional Library’s 2012 Summer Reading Program could be just what you are looking for. The program officially kicks off on June 1, with activities and entertainment for all ages.
Festivities get underway at 6 p.m. on June1 at the Missouri River Regional Library’s main branch, 214 Adams St., with a special evening that will include a performance by Brian Wendling, a professional juggler and comedian beginning at 6:30 p.m.
“It’s going to be a fun evening and an exciting summer of reading for people of all ages,” said Kira Michaelieu, reference coordinator, who is supervising the adult summer reading section. “We hope that people will participate in the Summer Reading program and enjoy books right along with all the wonderful things that summer has to offer.”
In addition, there will be crafts for children, teens and adults. Local businesses and organizations will have informational booths.
After the conclusion of the Summer Reading Kickoff festivities at 8 p.m., the fun will continue for teens who will have their own special “Own the Night Lock In!” until midnight. The teens-only second floor party will include pizza, soda and more.
“This lock in is being brought back by popular demand,” said Courtney Waters, teen librarian. “There will be lots of fun and goofy activities, even hide and seek in the dark.”
There are three categories of Summer Reading: children, teen and adult. Each has its own special features. All run from June 1 through Aug. 31.
• Children – The theme for this year’s children’s program is “Dream Big Read!” Participants can register and pick up a reading log at the library, or online at http://www.mrrl.org/node/1195 and print their reading log. There is one prize bag level and may be picked up once all reading requirements are completed.
• Teens – “Own the Night” is the theme for the teen summer reading program. Teens will have the opportunity to read to earn prizes and be entered to win a grand prize at the end of the summer.
• Adults – Reading four books earns adults a free book off MRRL’s gently used selection of books. Reading another four books, including one that focuses on the adult’s theme “Books and More”, earns another book selection plus the participant’s name will be entered into a drawing for prizes such as gift certificates from local businesses. There will be a set of shared sketchbooks that can be checked out and added to.
For questions about MRRL’s summer reading, contact children’s – Eric Lyon, 634-6064, ext. 229; teens – Courtney Waters, 634-6064, ext. 248; Adults – Kira Michaelieu, 634-6064, ext. 238. For more information on the Missouri River Regional Library, go to the website at www.mrrl.org.