- Teen Zone
- Teen Programming
- Teen Summer Reading Club
- Award Lists
- Homework Help
- Health and Well-being
- Reading Rants
- Volunteer Portal
- Services and Opportunities
- Book Recommendations
- Computer Center
- Meeting Rooms
- Art Gallery
- Drop Boxes
- Display Areas
- Genealogy and Missouri Information
- Local History
- About MRRL
- Online Services
Half Upon a Time
Submitted by Children on Thu, 05/17/2012 - 14:41
Half Upon a Time by James Riley
In the village of Giant's Hand Jack's grandfather has been pushing him to find a princess and get married, so when a young lady falls out of the sky wearing a shirt that says "Punk Princess," and she tells Jack that her grandmother, who looks suspiciously like the long-missing Snow White, has been kidnapped, Jack decides to help her.
- Who is Jack’s father? His grandfather?
- Who does Jack think May’s grandmother is? Why does he think that?
- Jack, May, and Phillip are on a quest. What is their quest?
- What happens the first time Jack and May fall asleep? How do they get away?
- How do they meet Phillip? What is he doing? What fairy tale does he belong to?
- What or who is the Eye? What does he give Jack?
- Who do they meet in the Black Forest?
- What happens when they find the mirror?
- Who is Merriweather? How does she know May?
- Who is Malevolent? How does she help the trio?
- What happens at the Palace of the Snow Queen? What truth is revealed?
- Jack and May are both strong characters. How are they alike? How are they different? How does Phillip fit into the story? What role does he play? How does he affect the relationship between Jack and May?
- What do you predict will happen in the future? Which boy will betray May? Which will die?
- What is the meaning of the title of the book?
- What fairy tale characters are present in the book? Which fairy tales do they belong to?
- Is May a character from a fairy tale? Who do you think she is?
If you liked Half Upon a Time, you might also like:
A tale dark and grimm by Adam Gidwitz
A world without heroes by Brandon Mull
Emerald atlas by John Stephens
Tuesdays at the castle by Jessica Day George
Igraine the brave by Cornelia Funke
Kat, Incorrigible by Stephanie Burgis
Peter Nimble and His Fantastic Eyes by Jonathan Auxier
The flint heart by John Paterson
Ivy and the meanstalk by Dawn Lairamore
Where the mountain meets the moon by Grace Lin
Tales From The Brothers Grimm And The Sisters Weird by Vivian Vande Velde