The Familiars by Jay Epstein
When a scrappy alley cat named Aldwyn passes himself off as a magical animal companion to Jack, a young wizard in training, Aldwyn and his fellow "familiars," a know-it-all blue jay and bumbling tree frog, must save the kingdom after the evil queen of Vastia kidnaps Jack and two other wizards.
- Why is Aldwyn on the run? Who is chasing him?
- Who do the familiars meet on their quest to rescue their loyals? What did they have to do at each destination?
- What magical powers do each of the familiars possess?
- Where are each of the familiars from?
- What familiar do you think possess the greatest power - Aldwyn, Gilbert, or Skylar? Why?
- What do the familiars discover in the cave on Kailasa?
- Describe Gilbert's relationship with his dad. Does it change by the end of the book?
- Who is truly responsible for Kalstaff's death?
- Who are the three original "prophesized three"? Who are the new "prophesized three"?
- What was each familiar afraid of on the Bridge of Betrayal?
- How do you think Aldwyn’s relationship with Gilbert and Skylar changed in the story?
If you like The Familiars, you might also like:
Babymouse by Jennifer Holm
Geronimo Stilton by Geronimo Stilton
The Warriors by Erin Hunter
Bad Kitty by Nick Bruel
The Cheshire Cheese Cat by Carman Agra Deedy
Pie by Sarah Weeks
The Books of Elsewhere by Jacqueline West
Toes by Tor Seidler
The Underneath by Kathi Appelt
Magyk by Angie Sage
The Magic Thief by Sarah Prineas
Beastologist by R.L. LaFevers